This is the continuation from the previous article Simplest pihole + dnscrypt-proxy implementation on Raspberry Pi 4 today I will discuss what configuration that we should do next.
There are so many adlist available however my suggestion is that you don’t have to add everything you found in the internet to Pihole adlist since that might break the internet (for real) every web page you browse seems falls apart, website looking late 90’s or early 2000 prehistoric some streaming service not working eventually it makes like internet is broken. Here’s one that I used:
- https://dbl.oisd.nl/ -> The biggest and popular list out there some say this is the only thing need to be added
- https://raw.githubusercontent.com/laksa19/indo-ads/master/indo-ads.txt -> Known Indonesian adlist
Update Gravity database
- When you added the list it’s not updating the database yet the simple one is from the pihole webadmin
- Or through the terminal, since we are using docker we can bash to pihole terminal and run “pihole -g” to update
docker exec -it pihole bash
- Or even better we can execute the command without bash to pihole terminal
docker exec -it pihole pihole -g
Update Gravity database automatically
I know, you may think that I’m repetitive why not just do this and omit the manually update but at least you learn something about docker and sometimes when you want to add new adlist you can update the database immediately without waiting.For this point we need crontab:
$ crontab -e
Copy below line
0 */6 * * * /usr/bin/docker exec pihole pihole -g >/dev/null
It will run to update gravity database every 6 hours in silence
Use mobile apps to control your Pihole to disable or enable.
My recommendation would be:
- Pi-hole remote – https://apps.apple.com/us/app/pi-hole-remote/id1515445551
- Philly – https://apps.apple.com/us/app/philly-manage-your-pi-hole/id1512490851
Got any tips? Let me know in the comment section.
- Complete Guide Rasp Pi 4 for NextCloud + Redis + MySQL + Ext NTFS + Nginx Proxy Manager - October 5, 2020
- Complete guide NextCloud + External HDD NTFS + Nginx Proxy Manager - September 18, 2020
- How to Setup a Forever Free SSH access to Raspberry Pi without port forward - September 7, 2020